Sep 2, 2011
Foodie Friday -- W is for WATERMELON
Nothing says summer like a huge, ice cold wedge of sweet, juicy WATERMELON. And, while it is fabulous au naturale, I highly recommend this Greek style salad. (in Greece, fresh watermelon, and good quality feta cheese is a commonly eaten snack)
* 1 smallish, seedless watermelon (to yield about 8 cups)
* 1 medium red onion
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, basil or a combination of the 2
* 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* 1/4 - 1/2 cup kalmata olives, pitted and sliced
Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding any seeds, and set aside. Peel and dice the onion.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add in the chopped mint and / or basil, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, olives and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed.