Pineapple: tropical vacation in a fruit form! So many ways to enjoy it----by itself, in fruit salads, smoothies, upside down cake, pina coladas............or one of my favorites: a salsa (relish) that is GREAT on grilled fish, chicken or pork.
* 1 C pineapple, chopped (fresh is best, but canned will do in a pinch)
* 1/2 C red onion, in diced fine
* 1- 2 jalapenos, seeded, deveined, and minced
* 1 TBS cilantro or mint, minced
* 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
* sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
* 1/2 - 1 tsp of your favorite hot sauce
* juice of 1 lime
* brown sugar or honey, to taste
In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, red onion, jalapenos and cilantro. Stir well to mix and season with salt, pepper, and the hot saucer. Squeeze the lime juice over the salsa and toss well to combine. Taste, and adjust salt, pepper and sugar or honey to your liking Chill until ready to serve, then toss again before serving.
Makes 1 1/2 C of salsa.
If the task of cutting up a fresh pineapple seems daunting to you, just google HOW TO CIT UP a PINEAPPLE for many helpful articles and videos!
Pineapples have long been a symbol of hospitality and welcome throughout the world. You can find many artistic renditions on everything from earrings to tablecloths to dishes. Here are a few fun pineapple motif items from EVT shops: