In anticipation of VALENTINE'S DAY, and all things sweet, sweeter and sweetest, I'd like to share a recipe for a delightful, easy treat. JAM TARTS. Like a miniature pie, filled with jam. YUMMY! And, with the addition of a heart shaped pastry "lid", a perfect treat for V-Day. (this recipe is courtesy Martha Stewart)
Yield: About 16
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
* 2 large egg yolks
* 1 cup jam, in assorted flavors--homemade is best!
* 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon; process for 10 seconds. Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, 15 to 20 seconds.
2. Combine 1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons ice water and add to flour mixture. Process until the dough comes together, about 7 seconds. Transfer to a clean work surface and compress into a flattened circle.
3. Lightly dust the work surface with flour; roll out dough to just thinner than 1/4 inch. Using a round or square cookie cutter, cut out shapes and press into 2- to 3-inch tartlet tins or a small muffin pans. Shape crust as desired, fill each with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons jam, and decorate tops with cutouts of dough. *(I use a mini HEART cutter for Valentine's Day) At this point, the tarts can be refrigerated for several hours.
4. Combine remaining egg yolk with cream; lightly brush exposed dough with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer tarts from tins to a wire rack to cool.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Mini Jam Tarts - Martha Stewart Recipes
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!